As promised, here is the recipe for the banana oat pancakes I made on the first day of my period. I’m not much of one for complicated recipes so this one is simple and quick. I’m sure you can find many pancake recipes out there but this is one that worked for me. I love eating energy dense meals like this during my period as it helps me to get in plenty of nutrients without feeling too full and bloated. I also don’t have as much of an appetite during the first couple of days of my period (after being super hungry the days before!) so making tasty meals, especially with a bit of sweetness is perfect!
2 small ripe bananas
1/4c milk (or non-dairy alternative)
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tbsp coconut oil for cooking
Toppings of choice!
**To make the recipe vegan try replacing the eggs with 2 “chia eggs“
- Start by blending the oats on high speed into a flour (I used a nutri-bullet but any blender should do the trick)
- Add the rests of the ingredients and blend for about 10 seconds until combined well
- Let the mixture rest for about 10 minutes to thicken up
- Heat approx. 1/2 tbsp coconut oil on a frying pan on medium heat
- Pour the pancake mix into small circles on the surface of the pan, trying to keep them separate
- Heat until bubbles start to appear on the surface of the pancakes
- FLIP to the other side and cook for a few more minutes
- Serve the pancakes and repeat with any remaining mixture (this batch did 2 pans of 3 pancakes each)
I topped mine with honey this time but you can do any combination you like. Chopped nuts or nut butter, tahini, chocolate syrup or fruit are all great options so experiment and find your favourites!
Over to you…
Let me know in the comments if you try this recipe and what your favourite toppings are!
- Like this post and follow my blog for more recipes and posts on how to eat to support your menstrual cycle.
- If you’re interested in reading more about nutrition and the menstrual cycle check out the posts linked below.
- If you want to work with me to get healthy and balance your hormones, contact me for more information about the nutrition and health coaching packages I offer.
One thought on “Recipes for your period: Banana oat pancakes”