Think about the last time you tried to lose weight? Did you have a structured meal plan, count calories or track macros? Did you think that carbs were the devil or “the fat you eat is the fat you wear”? Did you stick to a regimented workout plan from a coach or personal trainer and never miss a day no matter how tired you were? Did you have an expectation to lose Xlbs in 12 weeks and feel disappointed with anything less than that? How did these strategies work for you? My guess is if you’re reading this article it probably didn’t work out so well!
The thing that these strategies have in common is that they are all a masculine energy approach to weight loss. Masculine energy is great, we all need a dose of it in our lives. It is logical and rational, it gives us structure and helps to build discipline. All excellent things! The problem with masculine energy approach to weight loss though is that it forces us into this micro-managing mindset where we believe that controlling every aspect of our lifestyle will get us the results that we want. All that calculating and measuring is tiresome and you need a lot of motivation and will power to keep it up long term. Not only that but our bodies hate to be restricted and deprived and it won’t be long before they fight back with increased hunger and cravings. This is why most diets fail and you end up gaining the weight back, plus some.
So if these are masculine energy approaches, what does a feminine energy approach to weight loss look like? Feminine energy is that flowing, surrendering quality that brings beauty and mystery into our lives. When it comes to weight loss, a feminine approach is much more intuitive. Rather than relying on external factors to determine how much to eat and how to move your body, you turn inwards and listen to your own body, learning to work with it rather than against it. No more rules or restrictions but instead a flexible approach that is adapted to your needs and preferences. Rather than being your own bootcamp trainer you take on a caring, nurturing approach, having compassion and acceptance for yourself rather than criticism and shaming. Understanding that health is about more than just weight loss and being open to seeing all of the holistic improvements in your health rather than being focused only on the number on the scale.
So how can you start to implement a feminine energy approach to weight loss?
Feminine energy approach to diet
- Intuitive eating is the foundation of the feminine energy approach to weight loss. Learning to tune into your hunger and fullness cues is key! Trusting yourself to know when you are physically hungry and allowing yourself to eat until you feel fully satiated rather than stopping because you should or because you have eaten your allotted calories for the day.
- Tuning into your cravings and understanding what your body is trying to tell you. We have cravings for a reason, whether it is a physical or an emotional need. Choosing the right foods and the way you build your plate plays a big role in how satiated you feel – something I dive into with my health coaching clients.
- Understanding that you are human, not a robot! Developing understanding of why you act the way you do and not expecting perfection. Always plan for failure and have a plan B so that you don’t panic and completely give up when you can’t prepare your meals yourself. You want a weight loss plan that fits in with your life so that you don’t have to worry about social situations, events, travelling etc.
Feminine energy approach to movement
- Make movement a part of your daily life rather than separating out your “workouts”. We are designed to be active and we feel good when we move. The active couch potato model of sitting down all day then going hard-core with high intensity exercise for an hour is not aligned with how our bodies work and can cause excess stress and even weight gain long term.
- Move your body in ways that you genuinely enjoy rather than forcing yourself to do something for the results. Some of my favourites are walking, dancing and yoga but you can try anything that is fun for you. See exercise as a pleasure and a way to connect with and enjoy being in your body, remember that it’s the only one you’ll get so you might as well make the most of it.
- Listen to your energy levels and be flexible with your routine. Skipping a day of exercise is not going to harm your weight loss efforts and might actually be just what you need. Pushing yourself to the extreme is a recipe for burn out, hormonal imbalance and even weight gain as it is a physical stress on your body even if it does feel good in the moment. Rest and relaxation is a necessary part of weight loss too and might actually improve your results.
Feminine energy approach to mindset
- Start with a 30-60 minute morning routine every day. Set yourself up for a positive day by connecting with your body and setting your intentions first thing. Ask yourself what you need to let go of and what you need to support your energy levels for the day ahead.
- Keep a journal of the changes you are making and how they make you feel. Do more of the things that make you feel energised and happy and less of those which cause tension in your mind and body. You want weight loss to feel as easy and natural as possible so that it is sustainable long term. If a habit feels obsessive or restrictive, ask yourself how you could do things differently.
- For the ladies, track your menstrual cycle and start to sync your lifestyle to your natural rhythms. Our hunger levels, energy levels and performance change from week to week. Learning to ride this wave will stop the pattern of falling off the wagon every month when “shark week” comes around. This is another thing I dive deeper into with my health coaching clients!
And above all, remember that all bodies are different and focus on YOUR PROGRESS rather than comparing to others. A huge part of feminine energy is surrender and acceptance of what is. Building healthy habits so you can look and feel like the best version of yourself but knowing when to stop pushing and how to find your balance.
Over to you…
So those are my tips on how to adopt a feminine energy approach to weight loss. I hope you found it interesting and have some ideas to implement yourself. Let me know your thoughts and experiences below.
- If you want to follow along with this Real Health January series, like this post, check out the recommended posts below and follow my blog for daily updates. And please share with anyone you think might be interested!
- If you are looking for guidance, support and accountability on your health journey, please contact me for information on the nutrition and holistic health coaching packages I offer. I would love to work together with you to get you feeling your best again.